Definition of Karna Poorana
Karna Poorana is an Ayurveda procedure of filling the ears with a medicated oil, lukewarm “swarasa” liquid extract of herbs, Ghee, Urine of animals like goat, one side at a time.
Procedure to Karna Poorana
Initially, the ear lobes are gently massaged with lukewarm oil and then Fomentation should be done with cloth dipped in hot water or steam. The person is made to lie turned towards one side. Then lukewarm medicated oil is gently poured into exposed ear.
Duration or Retaining period of oil
At five-minute to 20 minutes, each ear. the treatment can be repeated for an entire week, based on the severity of the injury or defect. Duration depends on the disease and stage of the disease.
Indications of Karna Poorana
- Ear ache
- Age related decrease in hearing
- Impacted wax
- Gives stamina against deafness
- Prevents and cures neck rigidity
- Prevents and cures jaw pain
- Prevents and cures headache
Contraindications of Karnapoorana
- Eardrum rupture
- Ear injury
- Cuts in the skin of ear
- Burns that affects ears.
Oils used for Karnapoorana
- Deepika taila prepared from Brihat Panchamula and Sesame oil.
- Apamargakshara Taila
- Maha Narayana Taila
- Kshirabala Taila
- Nirgundi Taila
- Murivenna prepared from onion and oil
- Bilvadi Taila