Shirobasti – Oil Keeping Therapy Head
Shirobasti is a procedure of keeping the medicated oil or ghee on the head, 2 inches above the level of hair.
Procedure of Shirobasti
- Oil massage, Fomentation and other cleansing processes should be done initially.
- Hairs should be removed from the head or cut short.
- Patient is made to sit in a chair without any stress.
- Patient should not move his head during therapy.
- Leather cap should be fixed to the head.The paste of black gram should be applied to the junction of head and cap to prevent leakage.
- Lukewarm medicated oil or ghee is to be poured into leather cap up to two inches height above the level of hair.
- When medicine becomes cooler,that has to be exchanged with lukewarm medicine.
- Oil is made into lukewarm by keeping it over the water bath .
- Oil over the head should be kept for a specific period decided by Ayurveda doctor.
Removal of oil
After appearance of following symptoms oil should be removed.
- Reduction of pain
- Arrival of lacrimation
- Nasal discharge
Advise after procedure
- Bath with hot water
- Follow the food regimen as advised according to diseases
- 53 minutes
- 43 minutes
- 31 minutes
- 6 minutes
- (Depending on the disease condition.)
Indications of Shirobasti
- Numbness of scalp
- Facial palsy
- Neck rigidity
- Pain in jaw
- Locked jaw
- Some diseases of head
- Decrease in vision
- Dryness of oral cavity
- Atrophic changes in nasal cavity